Redesign User Experience on Searching for Restaurants and Stores having Cash Back
Seamless.Cash has partnered with 1000’s of restaurants, bars and countless businesses in the U.S. to bring you 10% to 30% cash back rewards to your credit and debit card purchases!
I worked as a researcher and designer on redesigning the Seamless.Cash mobile app. The purpose of this project is meant to improving the user experience for searching restaurants and stores having cash back.
1. In this search bar, you can only search for merchant names or food names to find the merchant with cash back, do you feel it is convenient to use such search function?
2. Do you expect to have more details of search function?
3. Do you expect to see all the merchant names on the map? Do you think it is helpful?
4. What do you think of the design for whole search process?
5. Do you think there is enough information for merchant? Is that what you want? If not enough, what kinds of information you want to add?
6. Do you think it is necessary to have quick button on the map? So you can quickly browse more restaurants.
To understand the experience from our customer’s perspective, I interviewed in my friends ( participants:10). I had my participants walk through the searching process within the app, asking for their opinion on their experience along the way. I concluded the study by uncovering four main user pain points:
(1) Select a destination on the map.
Except for the above mark questions, the function of redo search in this area is not provided for users in this page, so the users have to drag by themselves in the map and search for mer- chants in this area. This area can not be shifted ed to merchants with vertical list. The users only can slide from left to right for merchant selection. If there are quite much merchants around the users, it will be not convenient to check.
(2) Search for the area where user wants to go.
In search bar, you only can search for merchant and food names, the users can not select the area where there are restaurant with cash back you want to go. Moreover, if the users click on search bar, the vertical list of merchant shows up. The information of each merchant are not only complete, but also it is not easy to read based on whole visual effects.
(3) Choose a restaurant and find useful information.
The users only can slide the pictures of merchant, and can not click and zoom up. This page does not provide album of merchant for users to know more about information. Based on the search bar setting on the top, consider from users’ experience, and return to setting of search page with the same position, it makes easier for users.
After making analysis on confused points from the customers, I concluded that I need some modification on this APP and improve some points of design proposals:
1. Redesign each page, including pattern design, fonts, color and icon.
2. Add 3 quick buttons:
• Redo search in this area
• Back to current location.
• Vertical arrangement for merchant list
3. Add filter function in search bar:
• Sort by distance rating Most reviewed
• Search restaurants by different types
4. Add location function in search bar:
• Current location
• Map area
• Surrounding common cities
The most popular four apps of cash back are as follows. I took screenshots of their search pages respectively and analyzed the design and application process of their search pages. Moreover, I also searched many users’ evaluation of their products on the internet. Evaluations from many users are positive. In the following, I concluded the common advantages of search functions of these apps:
1. Their UI interfaces are designed in a clean and simple way. Their fonts, colors, and layout are very easy to read and comfortable, which makes users feel comfortable not only in visual aspect but also in users’ experience. Users do not need to spend a long time to become familiar with their functions.
2.Their search bars all have the functions of filter or category. This is a very useful feature since the demand of each user is different, which enlarges users’ range to make choices and helps users to find their goals in the shortest time. Put simply, it is time saving and highly targeted.
3. They all provide the feature for collection. This is also a powerful function, with which users can collect their favorite businesses among quantitative businesses being equipped with cash back, and avoid forgetting or spending more time in seeking for favorite businesses.
Before I jump to the wireframe, I brainstormed several possible solutions and sketch them out.
Then I tried to figure out what does the structure look like.
#1 Lucy seeks for the closest restaurant selling sandwiches with the highest cash back.
Added filter function
Provided current location and redo search in this area function
Provided quick classification buttons: Most cash back, Open Now, Restaurants etc.
Provided category info on each of the business
Redesigned the font and layout
#2 Ana checks the detailed information of nearby restaurants with cash back, and then collects her favourite business.
Changed the position of the return button, put it on the top
Redesigned the main page for each business
Added some new icon for the info part
#3 Aileen checks a restaurant with cash back and then checks other restaurants this app recommends to her.
Provided collection and album button
Redesign business list page
I used Invision prototype to test my design. I asked my target audiences to use a new version of my design. I think it's a useful way for me to understand how to improve it.
Number of Testers: 10
Age Group: 16 - 56 years old
Complete Task: 98%